Monday, September 9, 2013

Edelweiss

In downtown Tuscaloosa, there is a cute little German bakery. And, I still find tons of Tuscaloosa residents who don't know about it. Edelweiss has been open for several years in their location in Temerson Square. And, recently I have been stopping in more and more for coffee and snacks. They will soon show up in the blog post about wifi around town that I hope to post soon.

Recently, I joined friends for lunch on a Friday. We all had the special of the day, pork chop schnitzel. Each day they have a special and then they also have soup, sandwich, and bratwurst options too. The pork chop schnitzel was really delicious. We each received two pork chops and a German potato salad with a rye bread. It was plenty to bring home for a second meal. In case you haven't had schnitzel before, it is pretty much a fried pork chop. The potato salad was very different. It looked like it should be served hot, like a potato casserole. But, it was more like room temperature and not a mayonnaise based potato salad like we are all so familiar with having. Sorry, I don't really have any great ways of explaining the taste. Here is a picture of all the yumminess.


My friend had recently had one of the other daily specials and thought that it was better. So, I am anxious to get back in and try some more things! I know I love the pretzel rolls they have. And, they have been doing pretzel rolls since before pretzel rolls were popular (see Wendy's, Ruby Tuesdays, and Sonic).
I also love a lot of the pastries, muffins, and breakfast goodies. The crumb cake has always been a favorite.  And, I had a ham and cheese croissant for breakfast a few months ago that was great. I should have taken a picture. Here is a picture of my latte and white chocolate raspberry scone from a recent breakfast/work visit.

 And, earlier in the summer I had a latte with an amazing cherry and cream cheese Danish. Yum!

So, if you haven't visited Edleweiss I would suggest you do. They are only open during the day, so no dinner dates here. But, they have a front patio area, so as the weather gets cooler, it will be a great spot for coffee, a sweet treat, or a unique lunch. it is so very cool that we have a little touch of Germany right here in Tuscaloosa. 

1 comment:

  1. HI Julie! I was looking through your blogs and I want to tell you about a sophisticated way of coupons/discounts through a preferred customer card in Tuscaloosa. Here is the website http://www.mpaccard.com/Tuscaloosa

    ReplyDelete