Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nick's in the Sticks

In celebration of both Wes and my birthdays, we have a had a week and a half (still more to come) of birthday fun. We started with two of our favorites here in town, FIVE and Innisfree which can be seen in previous posts. But, Saturday night, we went to one of the most hole-in-the-wall restaurants I have ever seen, and certainly one of the best.

Nick's in the Sticks is literally in the sticks. You go through West End and keep going until there is nothing else around. The building, which holds about 30 people, is a plain brick building with one room for dining, a bar, and paying your ticket. It is certainly not glamorous but it is delicious, a great value, and one of the most popular places in Tuscaloosa.  As I mentioned, it is a small space, so it isn't uncommon to have a decent wait especially on the weekends. It is totally worth the wait!

Ok, so you are waiting, why don't you have a drink. Their famous Nickodemus, is a fruit punch looking drink that isn't quite as sweet as it looks. I can't come up with anyone who really knows what is in this drink, but I know that for years, it is one of the most talked about drinks in Tuscaloosa.

Once you are seated, you will have pretty quick service. The menu is short and I can tell you that every time I have been I have ordered the small fillet with baked potato for a whopping $9.99. What a deal right! It is one of the best steaks I have had anywhere. And for the price, you really can't beat it! It also comes with a salad. One of my favorite things at Nick's is the salad dressing. They have a ranch blue cheese mix that is unbelievable. We always ask for some extra to keep for the steak. Oh, and Wes would want me to share that they have some of the best Chicken gizzards, or as far as I know, the only ones. This weekend, both Wes and John were excited to order this appetizer. And, proudly, Amy and I did at least try them. I have nothing to compare them to, but again, Wes says they are some of the best.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures. This is truly one of the most beloved locations in Tuscaloosa. Part of the charm is that you have to know about it to find it. While the other is great quality at a great price and a unique experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment