Sunday, March 25, 2012

Carpe Vino Wine Tasting


Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, Carpe Vino, a locally owned wine store, has a wine tasting. For $5 you get to sample 5 or 6 wines and then get $5 off a bottle of wine.
Carpe Vino has a nice selection of wines that are displayed in really cool silver tub like containers. The sitting area is several red sofas and several chairs. While were there all the sofas were full as well as a couple of groups of tasters standing around the room. The vibe at Carpe Vino is really laid back, casual but cool. I have been for a couple of other wine tastings at this location and have always really enjoyed myself.

The crowd Friday night was a variety of ages from college students to probably 50s and 60s. I am always impressed when I visit a place in Tuscaloosa that can draw both college students and adults. You could tell it was some visitors' first times as well as several usual clients. There is nothing intimidating about the visit. Just walk right in and go to the counter to order your wine by the glass or ask to take part in the tasting. 

The tasting this week was small vineyards from Italy. I follow Carpe Vino on Facebook so I see each week what types of wines they are going to have at the tasting. I really like Italian wines, and Italy in general, so this one caught my attention and I asked Wes if he would go with me. The small vineyards have a gold label (see in the picture below) that tells you the wine is from one of the region's smaller vineyards. My friend who works here says these are always a real treat! The wines came from all over Italy and were all very different. We had three whites and three reds. From a Prosecco (light and bubbly) to a Super Tuscan (a stronger red), we were able to taste sweet,light, dry, but all really good wines. We bought a bottle of one of the reds that was from the southern heel of Italy.


Carpe Vino is located in downtown Tuscaloosa on Greensboro Ave between Mugshots and Epiphanys.You can also stop by and just buy bottles of wine. I think it is always nice to buy wine from someone who can answer questions and offer suggestions for what you might like.

No comments:

Post a Comment