Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wine Tasting at Ozan Winery

Back before Christmas I purchased a Living Social deal for Ozan Winery. The deal was a wine tasting for two with a cheese platter and some free goodies to take home. So, I thought it would be fun to do and grabbed the deal. This Saturday was the last available date before the certificate expired and I waited until about 2 weeks ago to check the dates for the deal. So, needless to say, this Saturday I went to the winery.

I had heard that there were some wineries in Alabama but I had yet to visit one. Ozan Winery is in Calera, and turned out to be only about an hour drive from Tuscaloosa. It was a really easy day trip for a very fun experience!! 

When I asked Wes if he wanted to go, he passed. So, I called one of my oldest friends in T-town, Amy, and asked if she would like to accompany me. And, then when I told my friend Christin who lives close to the winery we were going, she wanted to come too. When I checked the website, they said you can show up for a tasting as long as the group is small. They normally have wine tastings on Friday and Saturdays. I think Saturday they were open from 11 to 6. We decided to go around noon and that was probably a good thing. By the time we were leaving, things were getting pretty busy. They have a few tables outside under umbrellas, a few in a partial open air area with the white tentlike sides, and a few tables inside. Here is a shot of the building. We definitely didn't feel like you are in Alabama.
The wine tasting has a lot of wines and we really liked most all of them. There were three whites, several fruit wines, like a Chilton County Peach, about four reds, and then two dessert wines. Three of the wines are made with the grapes that are grown at the vineyard. The others are from grapes grown elsewhere, like Georgia, or other fruit juice they use. I bought a red that uses the local grapes. Here it is in front of the vineyard. I thought this was a nice shot.
It was a really nice afternoon with really great friends. We learned a little bit about the wines, got to catch up with each other, and enjoyed the experience a lot. There are a few other wineries in the area, so now I am thinking we need to try out the others.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog....I see most of the posts are 2012 do you have any updated venues to check out...I'm new to ttown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gregg, I have a couple I need to post now. So hopefully I will have something new soon. Welcome to Tuscaloosa.

    ReplyDelete