Sunday, March 4, 2012

Yakamoz Turkish Restaurant

I recently read an article on a new restaurant in Tuscaloosa, Yakamoz Turkish Restaurant. I had passed it on Hargrove for a while now, and just hadn't stopped in yet. I was unsure what Turkish food was so after reading the article I felt a little bit better about giving it a try. They have hummus as an appetizer so I was sold! Yakamoz is located behind Stein Mart and Pet Supplies Plus on Hargrove Rd. in a pretty plain building. They have a few things in there to make it feel authentic like the music playing, an area where you can sit at a low table on the floor, and pictures and fabric that seem to be Turkish.
Wes and I met our friends Kristen and Matt for lunch today. They had been once before and were excited for a second go of it. We started with the hummus. I could tell it was freshly made but I might have liked it to have a bit more seasoning. The pita bread was warm, fluffy and delicious, though!!
Wes and Kristen both ordered the Adana sandwich. Adana is a ground beef and lamb mixture with Turkish seasoning. It was wrapped in thin pita. Wes described it as tasting somewhat like sausage. It was good and definitely different from anything else I think I have had before.
Matt went with the beef gyro. This gyro came without the pita. The beef was thinly sliced and they said it was tasty.
I am usually one to go with chicken and today was no different. I chose the chicken roll up. This was a chicken breast with spinach, feta cheese, carrots and tomatoes rolled inside it. I couldn't tell that there was any feta cheese but it might have been there. It had a red sauce on it that I don't know how to describe. It was somewhat marina"ish" but certainly had different flavors to it. It also came with rice and a salad with a dressing that was kind of like mustard and yogurt together. All of it was good.

For the first Turkish lunch, I think we did well. Now we know what a few of descriptions mean I think we will feel more comfortable. The grill is in the center of the restaurant so you can see the freshly prepared meat being cooked. And, the server was nice and answered our questions. I figure she might be related to the owners because it seemed English wasn't her first language.

No comments:

Post a Comment